Troubles of Moisture in Electrical Service Panels

In electrical inspection, visual assessment of the electrical service apparatus is a vital component of the procedure followed by expert home inspectors, whose observations are quite reliable. These assessments can supply a database of overall performance of the residential electrical system components that can be important for the progress of improvements in both the parts and their linked qualifying standards.

Professional home maintenance inspectors offer a unique point of view on field failures: in accomplishing a comprehensive review of a building’s structures and materials, maintenance personnel may find typical external or interactive causes of damage or deterioration. In performing home inspection, one of the requirements is the uncovering of electrical panel box so the interior part of the panel can be inspected and viewed. The home inspector needs to inspect the internal electrical connections, breakers, grounding, wire type, wire size, box condition, wire condition, main breaker, and panel condition.

In performing home inspection, one of the requirements is the uncovering of electrical panel box so the interior part of the panel can be inspected and viewed. The home inspector needs to inspect the internal electrical connections, breakers, grounding, wire type, wire size, box condition, wire condition, main breaker, and panel condition.

In general, the service wire will operate like a sealed pipe that will bring moisture into the panel box. You can observe that when the wind driven rain can be also infiltrate a frayed or it can damage the major service cable or passed through the panel box if the electric meter is not securely sealed at the top where the service cable enters. The damage lower service entrance wire is the one who contributes a lot of moisture issue in the panel.

Throughout the home inspection it includes seeking type of water infiltration and electrical panel damage. Frequently, the terminals and the circuit breakers are corroded because of the moisture in the panel box. It is very often that the bottom of the metal service panel is decaying. Any one will easily notice that the water is mostly found at the bottom of the electrical panel box. Removing panel cover is really dangerous because of the unsafe conditions and electrical shock hazard, so ask help from the people who knows how to fix it.

The corrosion and rust is mainly caused by seeping through the base of basement walls wherein the panel box is located. For instance, everyone must be aware of the danger once the service panel got wet through the wall.

Some other causes of corrosion and rust are from water infiltrating or seeping through the basement foundation walls at the location where the panel box is attached. This in itself is a hazard because of the potential damage that can be caused by water seepage through the walls. Panel boxes should not be attached to stone, cement or masonry walls directly. Also interior condensation caused by high moisture levels in the home can contribute to panel box corrosion. High humidity levels can be caused by basement water infiltration or through other water leakage in the house.

A professional electrical contractor is necessary to fully evaluate and correct the condition. The contractor will definitely locate the source of moisture and make necessary repairs or replacements. More often the panel box and wiring is incredibly damaged and corroded, thus changing of the panel is require. Sometimes the panel box can be salvaged; at any cost the source of the moisture must be determined and solved in order to avoid worse effects

Waldron Electric Heating and Cooling is superior when it comes to appraising electrical service determination at a building. Call Waldron Electric Heating & Cooling for the most reliable 24 hr service, and no complaints.

This entry was posted in Home and Garden and tagged aluminum cable wiring, construction, danger, do it yourself, electrical contractor, electricians, family, heating and air, Home and Garden, home repair, house, HVAC, safety. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.